Heavy Ion Accelerator Symposium on Fundamental and Applied Science - 2015
HIAS 2015 will be held from 14 – 18 September 2015 by the Department of Nuclear Physics at The Australian National University, Canberra.
Important: Please note that ALL travellers to Australia MUST have a
valid VISA before arriving in Australia. Please see the Conference details page for more information.
Confirmed invited speakers include: Mitch Allmond, Giovanna Benzoni, Jeff Carroll, Stephan
Frauendorf, Robert Janssens, Filip Kondev, Silvia Lenzi, Yuri
Litvinov, Augusto Macchiavelli, David Sharp, Kris Starosta, Walter Reviol, Phil
Walker, Hiroshi Watanabe, John Wood and Furong Xu.
The symposium will be a celebration commemorating the achievements of Professor George Dracoulis in the
field of Nuclear Structure and will concentrate on the latest research in experimental and theoretical
nuclear structure physics.
It is anticipated that proceedings will be published by the EPJ Web of conferences, part of The European Physical Journal.
The Symposium program will include both invited talks and contributed presentations, with the major themes including:
- Nuclear Structure: Theory and Experiment
- Spherical, transitional and deformed nuclei
- Nuclear isomerism
- Shape co-existence
- Science at the boundary of atomic and nuclear physics
- Conversion electron spectroscopy
- Hyperfine interactions and nuclear moments
- Highly-charged ions
- Nuclei at extremes of angular momentum, isospin and energy
- Nuclear astrophysics
A workshop on Electric Monopole Transitions,
will be held prior to the conference from 11–12
September 2015. The workshop will cover areas of broad interest related to electron and pair conversion
processes with special emphasis on E0 transitions, including:
- Current challenges in nuclear structure studies using electron spectroscopy
- E0 transitions as probes of nuclear structure
- Experimental challenges to observe E0 transitions
- Theory of conversion electron and electron-positron pair emission
- New experimental facilities
Enquires and questions about HIAS 2015 can be directed to the conference secretary.